Training and Certification Programs

It is not mandatory to be certified to be an event planner. However, certification adds some perks and brings greater credibility to your career. Here are some of the programs you can consider:

Certified Government Meeting Professional (CGMP)

This is a government certification program for professional planners. You need to have the CGMP certificate before you’re awarded a government contract.

To be considered for eligibility for CGMP, you must be an active member of the Society of Government Meeting Professionals (SGMP). Also, you must have at least a year of experience in the hospitality industry.

Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP)

CSEP is licensed by the International Live Events Association (ILEA). This program is designed to respond to the growing complexity of maintaining a standard of practice among event planners.

To be considered eligible for CSEP, you must have been an event planner for a minimum of 3 full years. CSEP certified members are to be recertified every five years.